HEAVY SHOWERS IN UKRAINE AT THE TURN OF THE 20TH AND 21TH CENTURIES
Tatarchuk O., Tymofeyev V.
Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Institute, Kyiv, Ukraine
Long-term dynamics and spatial and temporal distribution of heavy showers in Ukraine are investigated in conditions of global warming. Heavy showers often fall between May and August, their maximum observed in the summer months (July). However in recent years, heavy rain began to observe in April, September and October. In the 2001-2010s frequency of heavy showers has more than doubled over the previous decade. Most cases of heavy rains at all time periods observed in the Crimea peninsula and Odessa region. The lowest number of showers for the period 1986-2015 is registered in Rivne and Lugansk regions.
The analysis of atmospheric circulation conditions that cause heavy rains is carried out. Most cases of heavy rains in summer associated with isolated upper-tropospheric cyclones (cut-off lows) that generally sedentary and make long-term impact on the study area, mainly in the first half of summer. In late summer, heavy showers associated with synoptic processes in interaction with the quasi-stationary ridge over Eastern Europe.
climate change, extreme weather events, heavy showers, atmospheric circulation.
- IPCC, 2012: Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation. A. Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Field, C.B., V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D.Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J.Mach, G.K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M.Tignor, and P.M. Midgley (eds.)] Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, 582 pp.
- Barabash M.B., Tatarchuk O.H., Hrebenyuk N.P., Korzh T.V. “Osoblyvosti rezhymu opadiv na terytoriyi Ukrayiny v umovakh suchasnoho klimatu”. Fizychna heohrafiya ta heomorfolohiya. – K.: VHL ”Obriyyi”, 2010. – Vyp.3 (60). – 254 s.
- Stykhiyni meteorolohichni yavyshcha na terytoriyi Ukrayiny za ostannye desyatyrichchya (1986-2005 rr.): (Monohrafiya)/ Pid red. M.V. Lipins’koho, V.I. Osadchoho, V.M. Babichenko – K.: Nika tsentr, 2006. – 311s.
- Martazinova V.F., Ivanova E.K., Chayka D.Yu. Izmenenie atmosfernoy tsirkulyatsii v Severnom polusharii v techenie perioda globalnogo potepleniya v XX veke.//Ukr.geogr.zhurnal. 2007. -#3. – S.10-20.
- Balabukh V.O. Trayektoriyi tsykloniv, shcho zumovlyuyut’ nebezpechnu i stykhiynu kil’kist’ opadiv v Ukrayini u teplyy period roku. // Nauk. Pratsi UkrNDHMI. – Vyp..253. – Nika-Tsentr, 2004. –S. 103-119.
- Ohlyady pohody ta stykhiynykh hidrometeorolohichnykh yavyshch na terytoriyi Ukrayiny za 1991-2015 rr. – K.: UkrHMTs, TS·HO.
Tatarchuk O., Tymofeyev V. (2017) Heavy showers in Ukraine at the turn of the 20th and 21th centuries. Visnyk Kyivskogo natsionalnogo universytetu, Geografiya [Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Geography], 1-2 (66-67), 89-93 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English).